Farming Connect: ‘Farmers who invest in training and developing their staff are more likely to retain them and develop a reputation as a place where others will want to work.’ Click here to find out more.
EU Settlement Scheme
- Following on from the UK exiting the EU, European Economic Area (EEA), EU or Swiss citizens must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 June.
- If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you should not apply for a visa under the points-based immigration system. You and your family should instead apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Applications are free and the deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.
- Click here to find out more.
Management of farm staff is a skillful job to ensure that they work in a safe working environment as well as contributing to the growing farming business. Having control over the workforce will make workers feel that they are in a safe environment where their contribution to the farm investment is paying off.
- Welsh Government Agricultural Wages, click here.
- Top tips for working with people with Farming Connect, click here.
- UCAS – How to become a farm manager, click here.
Labour exploitation – spotting the signs of modern slavery, click here.
Some skills that a farm manager should possess:
- Teamwork skills
- Communication skills
- Organisational skills
- Ability to lead a group
- Ability to understand and implement employment standards of working conditions, costs etc.
- Understand the hiring process of employees
- Knowledge of production standards
- Further responsibilities and qualities of a farm manager can be found here.
Farming Connect provides a range of subsidised training courses as part of their Skills and Training programme, click here to find out more.
Joint farming ventures
- A joint venture in farming allows you to step back or scale down from the industry, for further information on ventures click here.
- The Farming Connect Venture Booklet can be seen here or downloaded below.